The Yass Golf Club’s 2017 Club Championships will be commencing this Saturday and Sunday and once again the following weekend, with a newly scheduled time this year.
The Easter Weekend’s conditions were almost perfect with great autumn weather and the course looking and playing beautifully. The weekend also bought out some great scores before the Championships, so there are sure to be fine scores coming in the next couple of weeks.
During the Easter Completions, the winners were Fred Emery visiting from Fox Hill Golf Club, who took the prize on count back from Hayden McDonald and Jarrod Clifford with 41 points on Friday. On the Saturday, Rob Field came in with 41 points to take out the A-grade, while Greg Weir took out the B-grade prize with 41 points also. On Sunday, Rob Field backed up his Saturday score with another fine score for the 3 handicapper with 42 points. In Monday’s competition, it was Michael Abbey who posted the best score of 43 points to the amusement of many, as he didn’t have a putter until the 5th hole and is lucky to play once a month. Well done, Mick, hopefully you do well in the championships.
April 14: Stableford Event
- Winner: Fred Emery (32) 41 points ocb. Runner up: Hayden McDonald 41 points ocb. Ball winners: F Emery, H McDonald, J Clifford 41, C Kemp, M Bell, C Bradley 40, D Kemp 39, B Roberts and J Porter 38 points ocb. The nearest the pin on the 16th hole went to Wayne Wilson.
April 15: Stableford Event
- A-grade winner: Rob Field (3) 41 points. B-grade winner: Greg Weir (25) 42 points. Ball winners: G Weir 42, R Field, A Winterflood 41, S Porter, K Stephan 39, J Porter, M Bell 38, R Simms, J Clifford, S Curtis, G Rees-Kerr 37, R Bullman, J Julian 36 and D Oldfield 35 points ocb. The Australian Hotel nearest the pins went to Michael Coggan on the 8th and Callan Kemp on the 16th hole. The Yass Valley Tyre Service 11th hole went Graham Fleming and the Yass Golf Club 15th hole, Calcutta tickets went to Michael Bell.
April 16: Stableford Event
- Winner: Rob Field (3) 42 points ocb. Ball winners: R Field, D Poidevin 42, S Scroope 38, P Matthews, G Fleming and C Kemp 37 points ocb. The nearest the pin on the 16th hole went to Paul Matthews.
April 16: Stableford Event
- Winner: Michael Abbey (24) 43 points. Ball winners: M Abbey 43, J Roche 42, M Grange 41, R Furner 40, R Simms, R Julian 39, L Kemp 38 and W Biddle 36 points ocb. The nearest the pin on the 16th hole went to Robby Furner.
Mid-Week Competition to April 16
- Winners: A-grade: Callan Kemp (10) 21 points ocb. B-grade: Ian Bluett (22) 24 points. Ball winners: R Whitmore, J McDonald, P Watchorn 21, G Fleming, M Ballard, G Fleming, S Scroope, D McDonald, F Emery, V Giuca and L Kemp 20 points ocb.
Dad’s Army Competition Report for April 13
Another great morning for golf for the eight Troops that played their round in the Dad’s Army Competition this week. Joe Morrissey was the player to catch with a fine round of 20 points to claim the money.
Once again a count back was necessary to decide the ball and it went to Kevin Mann with 16 points. Scoring ranged from 20 down to 8 points. In the Championships, Kevin Mann on 34 holds a slender lead from Peter Doyle 32, Joe Morrissey 30 and Doug Oldfield 25, but it is early days yet.
- Saturday-Sunday April 22-23: 1st and 2nd Rounds of 2017 Club Championships
- Saturday-Sunday April 29-30: 3rd and Final Rounds of 2017 Club Championships
The Yass Golf Club 2017 Club Championships are proudly sponsored by the Australian Hotel/Motel.
You can also check out Yass Golf Club on Facebook for the latest in results.