Electrical fault causes smoke at Yass Golf Club

SERVICES CALLED: Fire and Rescue NSW outside the Golf Club on May 10. An electrical fault was believed to have emitted smoke into the building. Photo: Toby Vue

SERVICES CALLED: Fire and Rescue NSW outside the Golf Club on May 10. An electrical fault was believed to have emitted smoke into the building. Photo: Toby Vue

Yass Fire and Rescue NSW was called to the Golf Club just after 6pm on Wednesday, May 10, where smoke was emitting from the ceiling in the building.

Deputy captain Pete Green said he believed there was a fault with the lighting’s electrical system that caused smoke to emit.

“We believed it was a transformer with one of the ceiling lights. But there was very little smoke when we got there. It was mainly a precaution. We turned off the power for about 15–20 minutes,” he said.

“We evacuated people and once the scene was rendered safe, they were let back in.”

Golf Club manager Matthew Waters said the club decided to call the Fire and Rescue for safety reasons. “A bit of smoke came into the club and we decided to call help, but it was more of a precautionary measure. Nothing too dramatic” he said.

The Fire and Rescue team left the scene about 8pm. The Golf Club returned to regular operations on Thursday, May 11.