The Bureau of Meteorology has issued (at 1.50pm November 13) a severe thunderstorm warning for heavy rainfall for people in the ACT and parts of Southern Tablelands, South West Slopes and Snowy Mountains Forecast Districts.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding in the warning area over the next several hours.
Locations that may be affected include Canberra, Yass, Cabramurra, Selwyn, Adaminaby and Khancoban.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
- If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
The next warning is due to be issued by 4.50 pm.
Warnings are also available through TV and Radio broadcasts, the Bureau's website at www.bom.gov.au or call 1300 659 218.