A Yass café has been outed on the NSW Food Authority’s name and shame register this week.
King Charcoal Chicken in Comur Street was fined $440 for failing to comply with food safety standards.
The authority said a food handler had been caught smoking in a food handling area on July 19 this year, despite being warned about it previously.
The café was added to the public name and shame register on Tuesday.
Owner Georgina Karadonis declined to comment.
Authorities said smoking cigarettes within a food preparation area was unacceptable.
“Smoking in food preparation areas is a serious breach of food safety standards and the business concerned has been penalised accordingly, which is consistent with how these types of matters are dealt with by councils under the Food Act 2003 throughout NSW,” a NSW Food Authority spokesperson said.
Primary Industries Minister Katrina Hodgkinson is on medical leave and could not comment.
It is the seventh restaurant or café within the Yass Valley shire to be named and shamed during the past year.