ST JOHN OF GOD brothers who sexually abused boys in their care in Victoria were also involved in scores of similarly horrific attacks on children over decades at a special school they ran in NSW, documents obtained by Fairfax Media reveal.
The order yesterday confirmed it was co-operating with an active police investigation.
Allegations against the order in NSW include drugging, restraining and raping a boy at Kendall Grange, a residential school for intellectually disabled boys established by the order in the late 1940s at Morisset.
It also emerged on Friday that two brothers of the order, Bernard McGrath and Rodger Moloney, had been convicted in New Zealand of serious sex assaults against boys at homes the order ran in the 1960s.
The order has since paid about $5 million in compensation relating to about 200 abuse claims in New Zealand.
Another brother from the order, William John Lebler, who was living in Australia in the mid 2000s, avoided extradition to New Zealand for similar offences on the grounds he was suffering from ''borderline dementia'', according to a judgment by magistrate Hugh Dillon on February 14, 2005. It is understood Lebler spent time at the order's homes in Victoria.
On Friday, a spokesman for the order confirmed Lebler was dead while Mr Moloney was still a brother, although in ill-health, and living under the auspices of the order in Australia. He said Mr McGrath was no longer a brother and ''has not been for more than a decade''. He said the order had no idea of his whereabouts.
The allegations of abuse by the brothers in two different states and overseas raise concern about whether suspected paedophile brothers were shifted interstate or to New Zealand after complaints were made.
On Friday, NSW Police said they had no comment on whether there was any investigation into matters relating to the order's school.
On Friday Fairfax revealed allegations were to be made to an inquiry into child abuse that brothers at the order's Victorian homes had drugged and pack-raped boys and were suspected of violent assaults on two boys who may have died.
Compensation claim summary documents compiled for the order allege abuse involving at least 15 boys occurred at Kendall Grange regularly from the 1960s through to the mid 1980s.
One document reveals how a Kendall Grange boy alleged he was abused by two different brothers in the early 1980s. One of the brothers has faced child abuse charges in New Zealand, while the other was the subject of 11 different allegations of abuse in Victoria but has never been charged in that state.
This brother has since left the order but has worked in areas where he may have had access to children and resides in Australia.
Another compensation claim document details how a victim alleged he was drugged at Kendall Grange, belted with a black strap and was raped by one of the brothers whom he named.
The compensation claim document notes that the victim was ''in a fragile mental state'', however his recollections of the time at Morisset seem quite clear.
''His confusion, however, is only about the identity of who did things to him,'' says the document dated May 18, 2000.
In another document summarising a meeting between a victim, his legal representative and the then head of the order, Brother Peter Burke, it was alleged that a brother abused the victim who had been forced to spend the weekend at Morisset in 1979.
The document reported the victim eventually accepted $40,000 plus legal fees.
Do you know more? firstname.lastname@example.org