Over t200 adult and child descendants celebrated the 175th anniversary of the arrival in Australia of two early inhabitants of Yass, Alexander and Smith Reid.
Gathering in the Saint Andrews Uniting Church Hall on Saturday, October 8, some traveling as far as San Diego. Their ancestors, who arrived in Sydney on October 6, 1841, aboard the James Moran as immigrants from Scotland.
Smith Reid sadly passed away in 1858 from burns sustained at home. Alexander subsequently married Mary Rooney in 1859. With skills required in the young colony, Alexander moved to Yass opening a blacksmith shop, on the site of the Police Station in Rossi Street.
This was the beginning of a carriage and wagon building dynasty. Alexander’s sons established carriage and wagon factories in nearby Cootamundra, Murrumburrah and Temora. At various times he held the liquor licence for The Travellers Home, the Rose Inn and became the owner of the White Swan Inn. He was a highly respected member of the Yass community and member of the Presbyterian Church.