A number of events in Yass Valley have been cancelled this weekend due to the wet weather, including the 2017 Yass Relay for Life, Murrumbateman Twilight Market and Christmas Carols and the cricket and golf fixtures.
Yass Relay for Life also cancelled its movie showing.
Meanwhile, The Murrumbateman Village Market said on December 1:
“Reluctantly, we have decided to cancel the Twilight Market tomorrow. We have been advised that the Christmas Carols has been called off as there is very high likelihood of significant rain and wind this evening and especially tomorrow evening.”
Yass Valley Council staff have closed the low-level Crossing in Yass due to water running down the road and causing the area to be unsafe.
If you come across flooded roads, fallen trees, etc in the Yass Valley LGA, please call the council’s duty officer on 0408 625 694.
The Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) forecasts rain and a possible storm for the rest of Saturday, December 2.
At 5.04am today, BOM issued a severe weather warning for damaging winds and heavy rainfall in Southern NSW.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move vehicles under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least eight metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid on 131 388, or Endeavour Energy on 131 003 or Essential Energy on 132 080, as shown on your power bill.
- Don't drive, ride or walk through flood water.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring your local SES Unit on 132 500.
The next Severe Weather Warning will be issued by 11am AEDT Saturday.