Remembering Yass resident and former solicitor Tony Davis

Family and friends remember the life of Yass resident and former solicitor Tony Davis.

Early Years

Anthony John Davis was born in Sydney on May 1, 1951, son of Judith and Roy Davis. He was the eldest of four children - Stephen, Julie and Rose. Judith and Roy raised their children with strong family values, a sense of community spirit and a love for sport.

The family lived most of their early life at Collaroy but moved to Nyngan where Tony’s mother lives to this day. Tony attended primary school in Nyngan then completed his secondary education at Red Bend Marist Brothers College at Forbes. Tony was school captain and a talented rugby league player (five-eighth) playing for their successful representative team.

Tony went to University of Sydney to study arts/law. He supported himself by working in the public service, then after graduating took up a position in the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Office. While at university, Tony met Lynne and they married in 1975. After experiencing life in the city, they decided to move back to the country.

Work & Community Service

In 1977, Tony applied for a position at Phillips & Co Yass Solicitors, working with Jeremy Rolfe and Jeff Snell. The firm was joined by Peter Faulkner in 1981, ultimately forming the partnership Davis Faulkner & Co in 1984. Tony was exceptionally proud of his long-serving and loyal staff, many of whom worked most of their adult lives as employees of Davis Faulkner & Co.

Tony dedicated himself to his work being a country town solicitor. He took great pleasure in helping people solve their problems. Since his passing, many of the messages received by the family have expressed appreciation of Tony’s kindness, friendliness and ability to relate to others.

Working behind the scenes, Tony provided support and advice to many charitable organisations, sporting and social clubs in Yass. He contributed personally and professionally to the establishment of Horton House and the Rae Burgess Centre. Also very rewarding (and at times stressful), was his work fighting on behalf of locals to resolve difficult situations such as compensation for natural disasters and government land resumptions.

Tony served as vice president of the Yass Soldiers Club. He was honoured with life membership in appreciation of his efforts.


At Yass, Tony threw himself into sport, playing cricket with the Wallaroos, squash and tennis. Through this, he developed many lasting friendships. Tony was an excellent tennis player. He had a long association with the Yass Lawn Tennis Club and the Hume Tennis Club, assisting their endeavours to upgrade the courts and relocate to Victoria Park. He enjoyed playing in the night competition and coaching on Saturday mornings.


For Tony, there was no greater accomplishment than raising his three children to be independent, successful individuals. He took great pride in their achievements. He is survived by Evan, Simon, Ashley and their partners Rachael, Holly and Samuel. He took great joy from his three grandchildren Charlie, Phoebe and Sienna, and they equally cherished time spent with their poppy.

Tony was diagnosed with cancer in 2009 and defied his doctors’ expectations by living almost ten years. He endured numerous treatments with courage and good humour, still managing to live a full family life. He never complained. The family would like to extend a special thank you to Dr Owen Graham and Dr Yu Jo Chua.

In accordance with Tony’s expressed wishes, he was privately cremated and in lieu of a funeral the family has made a donation to The Medical Oncology Research unit which makes new therapies and trials accessible to people in Yass, the ACT and surrounding regions.

Lynne and the family will always remember and be grateful for the support extended to them during Tony’s illness over the past ten years.

IN LOVING MEMORY: Tony Davis obituary by family and friends. Picture: supplied

IN LOVING MEMORY: Tony Davis obituary by family and friends. Picture: supplied