Driver recalls crash at infamous Binalong black spot

A driver who walked free of a ute that rolled and crashed on Burley Griffin Way at Binalong last August is relieved to hear that the road's infamous blackspot is finally being addressed.

A Roads and Maritime Services (RMS) spokesperson said high visibility curve markers had been installed on the bend heading into the village and the stopping point on Fitzroy Street had been adjusted to improve sight distance for motorists entering Burley Griffin Way.

Hany Attia's ute rolled several times before hitting the road and crashing on Burley Griffin Way at Binalong last August.

Hany Attia's ute rolled several times before hitting the road and crashing on Burley Griffin Way at Binalong last August.

The 60 kilometre per hour (km/h) speed limit on Burley Griffin Way had also been extended by about 350 metres to ensure motorists were travelling at a slower speed by the time they reached the Fitzroy Street intersection, the RMS spokesperson said.

The speed limit used to suddenly drop from 100km/h to 60km/h near the village.

"A full safety review of the Burley Griffin Way and Queen Street intersection has taken place, with improved signage and new barrier lines to be installed in coming months," the RMS spokesperson said.

"Roads and Maritime Services will continue to monitor Burley Griffin Way through Binalong to identify whether further safety improvements are needed."

Hany Attia from Sydney, the driver involved in the August crash, used to travel along Burley Griffin Way weekly to provide his chiropractor services in Cootamundra. He said he was comfortable driving the corner before Binalong, having done so for the past eight months. However, on the morning of August 13, Mr Attia lost control on that bend and the car rolled several times before hitting the road and stopping.

There was a light drizzle that morning and Binalong residents said they weren't surprised the accident happened, with the corner a well-known black spot.

"I didn't notice any signs saying it was a dangerous bend," Mr Attia said.

Mr Attia said the safety upgrades should have been done sooner considering the number of previous accidents.

"I could see a TV crew there [at the scene] and could tell it wasn't the first time [an accident like this had happened there]," Mr Attia said. "Fortunately, nobody was badly injured."

Just a few months prior to Mr Attia's accident, in March, Yass Valley Council and the RMS had looked into safety upgrades on Burley Griffin Way with a high number of car crashes happening on that road.

The Tribune reported in March that there had been a car crash almost per month for eight months on Burley Griffin Way at Binalong.

Locals had said a road guard should be put in place to increase safety.

Mr Attia is planning on taking the road again and feels safer knowing he can look for the signs.