Our History | Banks secure built history of Comur Street

STREET SCENE: (Clockwise from top left) AJS Bank, built 1887. Date unknown; Current Westpac Bank. Date unknown; AB Triggs building later became the ANZ Bank 1829. C1980s; Bank of NSW 1886. Date unknown. Photos: Yass and District Historical Society Collection.
STREET SCENE: (Clockwise from top left) AJS Bank, built 1887. Date unknown; Current Westpac Bank. Date unknown; AB Triggs building later became the ANZ Bank 1829. C1980s; Bank of NSW 1886. Date unknown. Photos: Yass and District Historical Society Collection.

As we walk along Comur Street, we see how our main street of Yass has changed, but also how some of our old buildings are still a major feature of our built environment.

This is very evident when we look at some of our banks.

Banks occupied and often built many of the old and elegant buildings along Comur Street, and probably helped to ensure the longevity of many of them.

Banks occupied and often built many of the old and elegant buildings along Comur Street, and probably helped to ensure the longevity of many of them.

It was on August 2, 1858, that the Commercial Banking Company opened for business in a rented property in Comur Street in an area subject to flooding.

By 1871, the bank was looking at land on the corner of Meehan and Comur Streets.

It later purchased the block from the Catholic Church.

Mr Kelly, an architect from Sydney designed the building. Banking began in the new building on December 20, 1872.

This beautiful building, now occupied by the National Bank has been part of our streetscape for more than 140 years.

The Williamson building at 41-45 Comur Street opened as the Australian Joint Stock Bank in December 1860.

The Oriental and AJS Banks merged in 1868, renting a building owned by Dr Campbell.

Later these banks built new premises at 141 Comur Street, opening there in 1887.

Today it is the Westpac Bank (formerly the Bank of New South Wales).

It began business in Yass in 1884 in what is now known as the former State bank building.

The Commonwealth Bank began as bank agency in the Yass Post Office in 1872.

It wasn't until 1915 that the bank purchased the building known as the Old Billiard Hall from the Yass Mechanics Institute.

It became the Commonwealth Bank after extensive renovations.

Since then the Commonwealth Bank has moved several times to newer premises, but the historic Old Billiard Hall remains in Comur Street.

A later entrant to banking in Yass was the Union Bank of Australia, opening in rented premises in Comur Street in 1921.

In 1931 it purchased the building known as the AB Triggs building.

In 1951, the Union Bank merged with another bank to become the ANZ Banking Group.

The bank is no longer in Yass, but the Triggs building, remains in our main street.

Come and see which bank buildings formed part of Comur Street in the 1890s.

You can view our restored streetscape model at Yass and District Historical Society Museum when we re-open in October on the long weekend.

Then take a walk along Comur Street to compare.

The museum is located at 247A Comur Street (two doors from the Yass Visitor's Centre) and will be open on weekends and public holidays, 10am to 4pm, following October 5-7.

More details: www.yasshistory.org. or follow us on Facebook.

Written inquiries may be sent to:

Archives

Yass and District Historical Society Inc

P O Box 304

Yass NSW 2582

Comments