LATEST COVID-19 DEVELOPMENTS:
* Solar energy businessman Govind Kant has become the second Australian to die from COVID-19 in India. He had returned to India for family reasons in April and died on May 16.
* It comes as Prime Minister Scott Morrison is staring down growing calls from business groups, health officials and his own colleagues to set a framework for reopening the international border.
* Doctors have urged political leaders to strengthen hotel quarantine and establish long-term dedicated quarantine facilities. In the interim, better ventilation, strengthened personal protective equipment and vaccinations should be used to improve quarantine hotels.
* Meanwhile a member of Victoria's influential Fox family is blaming politics for a "frustrating" lack of progress on a proposed COVID-19 quarantine facility.
* Scott Morrison is also under fire for the woefully slow coronavirus vaccine rollout in disability residential care. Fewer than 1000 disability care residents have received their coronavirus vaccine, despite being included in phase 1a, with more than 25,000 still waiting.
* Australian Grand Prix organisers will need to know by September if the Formula One race can go ahead, or the Melbourne event slated for November 18-21 will be cancelled for the second straight year.
AUSTRALIAN VACCINATION NUMBERS:
* There were 3,183,324 doses administered in the national COVID-19 vaccination rollout up to Monday, including 83,187 in the previous 24 hours.
* Of the total, 2,064,601 have been administered by the Commonwealth (an increase of 50,522 in the previous 24 hours).
* 1,763,575 have been issued in primary care (+45,832) and 301,026 in aged and disability facilities (+4690).
* 1,118,723 have been administered by the states and territories, including +32,665 in the previous 24 hours.
* 324,743 have been administered in Victoria (+11,204), 291,550 in NSW (+11,415), 173,093 in Queensland (+2,763), 133,424 in Western Australia (+2,775), 81,460 in South Australia (+1443), 51,098 in Tasmania (+1359), 39,537 in the ACT (+841) and 22,818 in the NT (+865).
AUSTRALIAN CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Australia reported no new locally acquired virus cases on Tuesday. There were five new overseas-acquired cases: three in NSW and two in Queensland. Four old, overseas-acquired virus cases were also added to South Australia's tally.
* The national death toll is 910: Victoria 820, NSW 56, Tasmania 13, WA 9, Queensland 7, SA 4, ACT 3 (Two Queensland residents who died in NSW have been included in the official tolls of both states).
GLOBAL CORONAVIRUS NUMBERS:
* Cases: at least 163,646,000
* Deaths: at least 3,390,000
* Vaccine doses administered: at least 1,482,773,000.
Data current as of 1730 AEST on May 18, taking in federal and state/territory government updates and Johns Hopkins Coronavirus Resource Centre figures.
Australian Associated Press