The Yass Magpies Rugby League Club held its awards presentation night at the Yass Soldiers Club Auditorium on Friday, September 16 for its four senior teams.
The opening speech by club president Greg Smith reflected on the club’s first year back in the Canberra Raiders Cup since 2012, where they played in the George Tooke Shield.
The club saw its men’s reserves grade making a semi-final while the female’s team won its semi-final.
“It’s a great start to being back in this competition, and it will lead us well into 2017,” club secretary Lisa Wylie said.
In 2017, we're looking to be even more competitive, everyone is eager to do better under the guidance of coaches Steven and Scott Noughton.
“As well, we’ve got only a small committee that works hard, so anyone interested in helping can come onboard,” she said.
- Club person of the year: Ian Gorman
- Top point scorer and leading try scorer: Craig Irwin
- Sports writer award: Trent Gavenlock
- Most improved: Kristy Huey
- Most improved for first grade: Mitch Edwards and Jai Smith
- Best back for under 18s: Daniel Kemp
- Best back for reserve grade: Jesse Collins
- Best back for first grade: Andrew Swaffield
- Best forward for the under 18s: Kyle Danilczak
- Best forward in reserve grade: Ben Griffin
- Best forward for first grade: Josh Hall
- Rookie Girlpie of the year: Michelle Sera
- Rookie of the year for first grade: Josh Hall
- Under 18s coach award: Stuart Cocks
- Girlpies coach award: Amy Corkhill
- Reserve grade coaches: Stephen Greenwood and Corey Elphick
- Coach award for first grade: Shaun Davis
- Under 18s player of the year: Bailey Maher
- Girlpies players’ player: Sophie Broadhead
- Reserve grades players’ player: Ben Dyball
- First-grade players’ player: Josh Newling
- Most consistent player award: Andrew Swaffield
- Most consistent Girlpies player: Farah Atallah
- Reserve grades players’ player: Tony Worthy
- First grade players’ player of the year: Josh Newling
The club will hold its AGM on Friday, October 28 at the Yass Soldiers Club.