Two wineries from the Canberra wine region have won top trophies at the Australian Cool Climate Wine Show 2019.
Shaw Wines won Best Shiraz of Show with the 2017 Estate Shiraz, plus two gold, two silver and three bronze medals.
RELATED COVERAGE: Judging underway in Murrumbateman for Cool Climate Wine Show
Owner and winemaker Graeme Shaw was chuffed when he heard the results on Saturday.
"The Estate Shiraz was the first red we made and won gold at the first show we entered," Mr Shaw said.
"The shiraz that grows around here is very good.
"I've been saying for almost a year that our 2018 reds - shiraz, cabernet and merlot - are the best; better than the 2015 vintage, which everyone thought was the best," Mr Shaw said.
The 2018 reds are still in barrel and expected to be bottled in 12 months, Mr Shaw said.
McKellar Ridge also had success, winning Best Shiraz Viognier of Show with the 2018 Shiraz Viognier.
Owners Marina and John Sekoranja were very excited to win their first trophy at the wine show.
The couple bought the winery two years ago and 2018 was the first vintage they made the shiraz viognier together.
"2018 was a great vintage," Mrs Sekoranja said. "We have a beautiful harvest. The fruit had lovely flavours."
About four per cent of viognier was added to the shiraz, which was then fermented in French oak barrels for ten months.
"The viognier gives a perfumed lift, elegance and really softens the peppery shiraz you get from cool climate," Mrs Sekoranja said.
In total, sixteen trophies and more than 190 medals were awarded this year.
They were selected from 519 entries during judging last week.
The Best Wine of Show was awarded to the 2018 Home Hill Kelly's Reserve Pinot Noir from Tasmania for the second consecutive year.
The wine also won Best Red Wine of Show and Beat Pinot Noir of Show.
Other 2019 trophy winners:
- Best White Wine of Show - 2017 McWilliams Region Collection Yarra Valley Chardonnay
- Best Riesling of Show - 2019 Fowles Wines Stone Dwellers Riesling
- Best Sauvignon Blanc of Show - 2019 Chain on Ponds Black Thursday Sauvignon Blanc
- Best Pinot Gris/Grigio of Show - 2019 Tamburlaine on the Grapevine Pinot Gris
- Best Chardonnay of Show - 2017 McWilliams Region Collection Yarra Valley Chardonnay
- Best Dessert Style Wine - 2013 Gilbert by Simon Gilbert Late Harvest Riesling
- Best Sparkling of Show - 2015 Taltarni Blanc de Blanc
- Best Rose of Show - 2019 McWilliams 480 Rose
- Best Merlot of Show - 2018 Tamburlaine Orange Reserve Merlot
- Best Cabernet Sauvignon of Show - 2018 Cellarmasters The Ridge Terra Rossa Cabernet
- Best Alternate Variety Red of Show - 2018 Tamburlaine Orange Reserve Malbec