The Bureau of Meteorology has issued a severe thunderstorm warning for heavy rainfall, damaging winds and large hailstones.
The warning is for people in Hunter, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, North West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains, Australian Capital Territory and parts of Mid North Coast, Illawarra, Central West Slopes and Plains, Riverina and Northern Tablelands Forecast Districts.
Severe thunderstorms are likely to produce heavy rainfall that may lead to flash flooding and damaging winds over the next several hours in the Hunter, South Coast, Central Tablelands, Southern Tablelands, North West Slopes and Plains, South West Slopes, Snowy Mountains, Australian Capital Territory and parts of the Mid North Coast, Illawarra, Central West Slopes and Plains, Riverina and Northern Tablelands districts. Locations which may be affected include Newcastle, Batemans Bay, Armidale, Orange, Canberra, Goulburn, Tamworth and Moree.
Be aware that run-off from rainfall in fire affected areas may behave differently and be more rapid. It may also contain debris such as ash, soil, trees and rocks.
Trees that have been damaged by fire are likely to be more unstable and more likely to fall.
Stay vigilant and monitor conditions. Note that the landscape may have changed following bushfires.
The State Emergency Service advises that people should:
- Move your car under cover or away from trees.
- Secure or put away loose items around your house, yard and balcony.
- Keep at least 8 metres away from fallen power lines or objects that may be energised, such as fences.
- Report fallen power lines to either Ausgrid (131 388), Endeavour Energy (131 003), Essential Energy (132 080) or Evoenergy (131 093) as shown on your power bill.
- Keep clear of creeks and storm drains.
- Don't walk, ride your bike or drive through flood water.
- If you are trapped by flash flooding, seek refuge in the highest available place and ring 000 if you need rescue.
- Unplug computers and appliances.
- Avoid using the phone during the storm.
- Stay indoors away from windows, and keep children and pets indoors as well.
- For emergency help in floods and storms, ring the SES (NSW and ACT) on 132 500.
- The next warning is due to be issued by 4:35 pm.
If severe thunderstorms develop in Sydney Newcastle Wollongong or surrounding areas or Canberra and Queanbeyan, a more detailed severe thunderstorm warning will be issued to people in these areas.